Profile picture verified
(4,793 profile views | Last seen: 5 hour(s) ago)
Black belt 2nd degree Verified
20 year(s) and 11 month(s) of training
1023hr 54m of training logged
Vince Choo BJJ
I started training BJJ late in 2002 with a freshly minted blue belt. Prior to that there was no instruction available in the country. In many ways I was influenced via exposure to UFC 1-4 and watched these groundbreaking matches on VHS back in the day. Coupled with my (then) karate instructor who had an extensive competitive Judo background, teaching us gi chokes (with our thin karate gi) got me more motivated to learn joint locks and chokes and it wasn't until I experienced "pressure" to know the differences between the different martial arts. At this time I already had over 20 years of karate training (& teaching) but it didn't prepare me for this level of contact and I was addicted to learning more.
The first time I shared the mats with a Black Belt instructor was at a SBG workshop in Singapore with Matt Thornton - as some of you know - is 6'7" and a strong guy. At the SBG events I met Rodney King, who was the boxing coach for SBG at that time and via Rodney, I got to train with Rigan Machado. After that I started to host Rodney's workshops in Kuala Lumpur (around 2005/6) on an annual basis (every August) as I joined Crazy Monkey Defense's Trainers Program.
Before joining CMD, my Blue belt was awarded in KL by my trainer then, and my Purple belt awarded by John B. Will (Will-Machado Australia). Rodney awarded my Purple 1 stripe and a few years later, my Brown Belt. I was at Brown Belt (0-4 stripes) around 6 years before being awarded my Black Belt in 2015, 1st Degree in 2018 and 2nd Degree in June 2022 also by Rodney King.
In between all this, I had the opportunity to travel and train/coach at several countries: Thailand, UK (Isle of Man), Germany : Schwerte, Norway: Oslo, Portugal: Lisbon, Faro, and several more. I have yet to attend a Globetrotters Camp but plan on attending one day.
As an older practitioner, I'm currently working on Wrestling for BJJ, Running Man, Turtle, Panda, and Grilled Chicken - special Vulcan code words :) which fits into my game.
My most recent attendance at a workshop was with Silvio Braga in 2022 and plan to attend more workshops/seminars as time and budget permits
Other than Jiu Jitsu, I introduced kettlebell training to Malaysia in 2006 and have since gone on to earn my Teacher's Certification (Level 1 & 2) for Kettlebell Teaching as well as Advanced Bodyweight Conditioning Specialist from Steve Cotter. I usually try to combine as many Jiu Jitsu movements in my workouts.
I try to instill a gym culture where it's chilled, friendly and not-competition based as most of my clients are mature through a combination of gi and nogi classes.
As one of the few Malaysian BJJ Black Belts, I actively try to avoid the politics that is prevalent in this community so I remain independent from other BJJ local groups but have no restrictions on where my gym members can train (open mats, seminars, etc.).
In June 2020, due to mounting operational costs with no income due to the worldwide pandemic and local viral-transmission containment regulations, I closed my academy permanently and have since been coaching on a freelance basis and have been invited to be a coach at several local martial arts gyms.
29 April 2023, I officially retired from the Crazy Monkey Defense Program due to health issues and will remain unaffililated/ independent for the foreseeable future.
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
Year : Rank : Instructor
• Nov 2002 started training : Samuel Wee
• 2004 Blue Belt : Samuel Wee
• 2006 Purple Belt : John Will
2008 Purple Belt 1 : Rodney King
• 2009 Brown Belt : Rodney King
• 2010 Brown Belt 1 : Rodney King
• 2013 Brown Belt 2 : Rodney King
• 2014 Brown Belt 3 : Rodney King
• 2015 Black Belt : Rodney King
• 2018 Black Belt 1 : Rodney King
• 2022 Black Belt 2 : Rodney King
Crazy Monkey Defense Program | Year : Level : Coach
• 2003 : CMD Boxing Bronze Gloves Trainer : Rodney King & Eric Kolesar
• 2007 : Weaponize Your Body Level 1 Certified : Rodney King
• 2015 : Weaponize Your Body: Edge Level 1 Certified : Rodney King
• Chin Woo Wushu Southern Shaolin Long Fist style (MY) : various
• Judo (MY) : Goh Thong Mong
• Shotokan Karate (GB/USA) : Mill Hill Karate Club (Sean & Laurie), KUGB, SKIF-UK (Nick Adamou), SKIF-USA (Kanazawa Hirokazu, Charles & Stephanie Baker, Fujishima) SKIF-Hawaii (Francis Fong, Ed Kiyuna, Ron Awa)
• Karate Association of Hawaii, Funakoshi Shotokan Karate Association (USA) : Kevin Funakoshi
• Ishinryu Karate (GB) : Vic Charles
• Gojukai Karate (GB) : Chris Rowen
• Shitoryu Karate (MY): Lee Chee Keong
• Danzenryu Jujitsu (USA) : Kainoa Li
• Kissakikai Karate (MY) : Vince Morris
• Koryu Uchinadi (MY) : Nobert Foerster
• Shorinji Kempo (GB) : Mizuno Sensei
• Muso Shindo Ryu Iaido (USA) : Takahashi Eiichi / Tom Helm
View training history